Nevertheless, i did still want to give a brief how-to in case there is someone out there who needs first-hand assurance that a project like this is simple and easy and should not be intimidating in the least.
Now, what was the occasion that i should get it into my head to make these?? None other than my adorable little niece and nephew's birthday. You can see all the lovely details of their super cute ice cream party HERE at my sister's cool blog. :)
Alrighty, well, here's what you need:
* Apron fabric (this was kind of like a duck cloth but a little more flexible)
* Template- I used this home depot apron, although i made it a couple inches bigger all around.
*1 piece of coordinating pocket fabric
*1 package of double fold bias tape (if you get 2 packages you would have enough to make the neck strap out of the bias tape as well. I chose however, to just buy 1 pkg and make it out of the apron material instead)
*Neck Strap- mine was about 3x15 inches
1) After your apron is cut out, then cut the pocket, fold, iron and then sew the top edge (this is not pictured as i completely forgot about this step until i had pinned the whole apron! ha:))
2) Pin pocket onto apron
3) Begin pinning bias tape, leaving some extra on the edges to turn under
4) for the waist ties, start a new piece of tape, overlap the bottom piece and then continue it up towards the top of the apron. make sure you leave enough to tie.
5) Fold over the top edges
6) Sew all around the edges of the apron. Don't forget to sew the apron ties shut!
7) Sew the bottom of the pocket to the apron. And sew vertically on the pocket to create divisions
8) Fold neck strap fabric in half (lengthwise), right side in, sew and flip right side out, iron and top stitch.
9) Sew neck straps on securely
Voila' Two little apron/ art smocks!
Sister always dresses her kids respectably (see picture above? yeah well, her lil guy loves to wear those bow-ties and her cutie pie girl is always in a girly dress. wish it would rub off on their cousins....Oh Well) so i figured these would come in handy for even everyday marker activities. :)
Packaged up and ready for fun
linking to: A bowl full of lemons and sewmuchado