Wednesday, June 8, 2011

my favorite tacos

So, i don't usually post recipes because well...my creativity in the kitchen is often lacking. in a big way. My sister and i used to be nearly obsessed with planning and cooking new and exciting recipes each week when we were still living at home but now with 4 kiddos and a Handy Andy who is out of town several days a week, food tends to get a little boring and predictable.  However that doesn't prevent me from dreaming about good food and when summer comes i especially get in the mood for new/fresh ideas. A couple of months ago i challenged myself to make at least one meal a week that was out of the norm. I have't completely stuck with it but i found myself  flipping through magazines at the  Dr. office this week and got TWO new recipe ideas to try.  I made the pasta dish yesterday and it was alittle "blech". It might have helped if i actually had the recipe written down. (My memory has severely suffered with each pregnancy and has never recovered)
 However, for this Taco recipe i still didn't follow the exact directions or ingredient list but it was amazing nonetheless. i think i ate 3...maybe 4. whew, all that to say, here's the recipe. The overall theme is borrowed from "Martha Stewart Living." (i think) or maybe it was "Real Simple"??

Meg's Favorite Tacos
serves: about 4-6, makes about 10 tacos

a few T. of olive oil
1  small red onion, sliced thinly
3  garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1  can great northern beans or cannellini (is there a difference?)
Coarse Salt and ground pepper
3 Chicken Tenders, cut up into bite-size pieces (Opptional- i was going to leave it out but happened to have some in the fridge, defrosted)
2ish Cups of Spinach, Cut in strips
10  yellow corn tortillas
Maybe 2 cups Montery Jack Cheese
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Sour Cream


1. Heat oil in a large skillet over med. heat
Cook onions and garlic until soft, maybe 5ish minutes
Stir in Chicken Tenders (opptional) until opaque
Stir in Beans, 1 cup of the Spinach
Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
2.Using tongs, carefully hold each tortilla over a gas burner until nicely toasted and heated, or heat in oven, wrapped in foil. Sprinkle cheese into the tortilla to melt, Spoon filling onto tortillas. Top with cilantro, a little extra fresh spinach and sour cream on the side

3 comments:

Mommy Minded said...

Wow, these sound awesome. The picture makes me want to lick the computer a little... I wont because my son is sitting with me and it could freak him out... ;)

Megan
mommyminded.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Yum! these look/sound really good, Meagan! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)
btw, I think great northern beans are a bit softer...

Robert and Courtney said...

Those look good. We love new ways to eat beans so I will have to try these.