So, i decided to make a tutorial, just for fun.
Last month i looked at several bow-tie pictures and tutorials and combined them. Then after making several and adding a few little tweaks i thought it would be handy to put it all down in one place. Especially since i'm sure i'll forget everything once my bow-tie infatuation fades a tad. :)
Ok, so you only need three pieces of fabric and just a few simple steps to make one of your own.
1)Prep the 3 pieces of fabric- I spread out a 1/2 yd of fabric and ironed on a large piece of interfacing so i'd be ready to cut out a few "bows" and "center" pieces at a time.
Neck strap- this needs to be as long as fits comfortably around your child's neck- with a little overlap for velcro.
(Baby Ben's strap was about 10ish inches and our 5yr old was about 16inches. Both were 2 1/2 inches wide.)
- Fold this in 1/2 wrong side out, sew around 3 sides, turn right side out and iron
Bow- for this, figure out how wide across you want your finished bow-tie and then quadruple that length. I wanted mine around 5 inches so i cut the piece 20 inches long. For Ben's i made them about and inch shorter.
- Fold this piece in 1/2, wrong side facing out, sew around 3 sides, clip corners and turn right side out and iron.
Center- this is the piece of fabric that goes around the center of the bow. It is about 2 inches wide and maybe 3 inches long- just long enough to loop around the bow with a little overlap.
- Fold this lengthwise, sew 3 sides, turn inside out and iron.
2) Make the Bow- Here are some pictures of the 4 basic steps.
3) Attach the neck strap Once you have your bow all ready, just slip the neck strap through the center piece in the back. Hand sew a few stitches to keep the center piece attached to the bow and the neck strap attached and centered to the entire bow. Then, hold it around your boy's neck, mark it and then sew your velcro on. I put a pretty big piece of velcro on mine so they could be a slightly adjustable depending on whether my boys wear them with or without a collared shirt.
And you're done! Strap it on your lil man and soak up the cuteness!